Sunday, November 16, 2014

Tender Mercies

I'm grateful for some tender mercies this past week.  With Neil being a tax accountant, most of our income happens by May and almost none of it happens in Nov/Dec.  Adding to that the (necessary) purchase of a ground floor office this year, and I was getting worried about this Christmas.  We are switching to the 4 gift system this year, which will definitely help with our budget.  The 4 gift system is: something you want, something you need, something to wear, and something to read.  It seems like I've given my kids too many toys and not spent enough time really thinking about what will be useful or helpful to them.  It's already been amazing this year, really thinking about what gifts to give them in each category.  Ruth for sure will need a new winter coat, so I went to check the thrift store to see what I could find.  She's small enough that I can still get clothes in really good condition from thrift stores.  I found a really cute everyday coat as well as a good winter coat.  On top of that, I found a "construction fort kit" by Discovery Kids for $4 (new is $35) and a Minnie Mouse doll with clip-on clothes/shoes/hats.  It is quite literally the PERFECT gift for Ruth.

I had been stressing about having enough money for the extended family on my list, plus my kids, without having to sacrifice Neil's gifts too.  Gifts is one of his love languages and while we both agree that we'd rather make sure the kids are covered, I didn't want him to end up with nothing.  2 weeks ago, it really did look like he wasn't going to get anything for Christmas, and since his birthday comes in January and tax season doesn't really start until February, I was really upset at the thought that he wouldn't get either gift this year.  I'm a crier, big time.  So I'm crying and I say something like "What if you don't get any gifts for Christmas and I still can't get you anything for your birthday?" right when Ben comes in the room.  He immediately left - to get his wallet, so he could give me all his money so we could get Dad a birthday present.  It was the sweetest thing :)

Early last week, I remembered I had a love seat, a heavy-duty shelving unit, and a foosball table that don't get used anymore that I'd been intending to sell on KSL.  I posted them, and they all sold within 24 hours, which gave us some extra funds for Christmas.  Between that and finding some really great things from the thrift store, I think we'll be in GREAT shape come Christmas :)

At Walmart this week, Ruth and I were in the checkout line and one of those really awesome guys came up behind us in line.  He had a nice round belly and a white beard.  He saw Ruth and said "Oh ho ho ho!  Have you been a good girl?"  I don't think she was totally sure what was going on, but then I told her it was Santa.  The rest of the time in line, she kept saying "Santa, what you doing here?" or "Santa look at Ruthie!"  It was really cute.

Today marks the beginning of tithing settlement, which is usually the day that we try to get in and get it done :)  It also means it's the day of the year that I actually WRITE my tithing check.  It was kind of funny last year, we paid just before going in to sit with the bishop.  He asked if we were full tithe payers, and we said yes.  And he stared, kinda confused, and the tithing statement that he had (which wasn't updated) showing $0 paid.  We set aside our tithing with each and every paycheck that we get, and I have never touched that money during the year, but I choose to pay it annually rather than monthly.

No comments: