Sunday, November 2, 2014

Happy Halloween!

Every year around Halloween time, my aunt Angie sets up a Halloween scene in her studio and offers free portraits to anyone who wants to come!  We love taking advantage of this :)

We were planning on doing the pictures on Wednesday at 4:00 and then heading to the Traverse Mountain outlets (at the point of the mountain) for stories, a craft, and trick or treating around the stores there.  That meant on Tuesday I was frantically trying to get Neil's costume in a good place.  I should have ordered a good beard for him off of Amazon weeks ago, but I kept thinking I didn't want to pay $10-15 for one small part of his costume if I could make one out of yarn.  At some point, I had to admit that I also just don't have time to make EVERYTHING.  I mean, I made wands for the boys, and Gryffindor patches for their robes, and an owl eyes headband for Ruth...  something had to go.  So I went to Zurchers, which had a decent beard for $10, but it ended up being the same color as Neil's robes and it was just... bleh.  So I returned that beard and went to Halloween City.  I had looked up their beards online and they had a good long white one.  Sadly, the store didn't have that beard, nor any white beard.  They recommended I get a different beard and some of the white hairspray.  You can see in the pictures how well that ended up working.  
I already had the fabric for my robe, and the felt for Ruth's owl feathers.  The boys robes are made of DI men's shirts and Neil's costume was made from $1/yard clearance fabric from Walmart.  I think I probably spent $25 on our costumes.  I feel very blessed that I have the ability to make my own costumes every year and save so much money!




Halloween day, we stopped by Cabelas for a little bit more trick or treats - they had about 8 stations set up through the store.  I probably wouldn't care to go, but since they also have a big fish tank and other (stuffed) animals in the store, it's a more interesting place to go.  Last year, they hid small pumpkins around the store that could win you big prizes.  We didn't find any, and they didn't do it this year.  Oh well.  
Ruth was really getting the hang of the trick or treating deal.  She wasn't even upset that we weren't eating the candy yet.  The only problem we had was that some houses have dogs.  She's not scared of the dogs, she just wants to go into people's houses and pet the dogs.  And not everyone's dogs are the "petting" kind...  so we started having meltdowns when we tried to get her to leave the house.  Eventually, Neil took her back home and I kept going with the boys until they started complaining about wanting a drink and being tired of walking.  They got quite a haul though.  2 houses in my mom's neighborhood were giving out full sized candy bars, and most people in my ward give 3-4 of the small candies.  
Tristan came down with a stomach bug yesterday, and I'm just grateful it happened the day AFTER Halloween so he didn't have to skip trick or treating.


No comments: